Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Well, this is it...

I can't believe that I'm leaving in the morning. Has it really been six weeks?? It doesn't feel like I'm leaving, yet. It just feels like I'm going to stay here in Peru for forever. Today is my last full day here, and I plan to make the most of it. This morning I have been making lesson plans and workshops so the team here can continue teaching female reproductive health after I leave. And then later today we are doing a health screening in a village called Porcon. This screening is special cause it's for the kids. We will be assessing if they are growing properly. The kids here are so malnourished. It stunts their growth, and it's really hard to tell how old they are. A kid might look like he's seven or eight years old, but is actually eleven or twelve years old. It breaks my heart.


The other day, I bought a couple of mantas. A manta is the type of blanket that the mamas here use to carry their babies. Or anything heavy really. But since I don't have a baby, I filled up my duffle bag with heavy stuff and carried it on my back instead! haha It's surprisingly comfortable! More comfortable than a back pack. I might just use mantas all the time for everything! I used it a lot yesterday. I carried the supplies for English class, and then later I carried my groceries home in it.


But, I have definitely decided that I am going to carry my kids in a manta. Who knows, maybe I'll start a new trend in America? haha There are a few different ways to tie a manta, but I'll save that for a later post.


So there is an amazing thing here called manjarblanco. It's basically the Peruvian version of caramel. It's sooooo good! Last night we made a late night trip to the panaderia (bakery) to gets donas (donuts). Now, these aren't just any old donuts, here, they fill them with manjarblanco. And if you want, you can ask for una dona caliente. That means they will warm it up for you! But you have to be careful not to burn your mouth from the manjarblanco. They are so good! I just love the panaderias in general! haha

Well, I guess this is it! The next time I post I will be in America! I have loved my time here in Peru. The people of Peru will always have a special place in my heart. Siempre recordare Peru! Cajamarca siempre sera un hogar para mi.



No comments:

Post a Comment